Audience Strategy

My intended audience is people who currently have no job and now are seeking one. I want my visual essay to engage with everyone that had jobs before covid and lost them because of it but it can also be for people who are struggling with getting a new job and need some help. I want them to understand that they aren’t the only one facing this problem and that this is happening everywhere. I also want them to know that there is still hope and opportunities out there. People looking at the poster will make them see how people all over the world are impacted by unemployment. My audience can also be the government, so that people who need jobs get jobs. When my audience looks at my visuals I want them to feel relieved and excited because I know that they have been stressing over not having a job, especially during the pandemic. The genre presented in my work tragedy, by using tragedy it shows that unemployment is a global issue and that many people are facing the same problem. I can see my viewers seeing my poster on the street, transportation vehicles, and even near many different types of stores. Not only unemployed people lose income but they are facing many challenges with their physical and mental health. This allows my ideas to be more attractive because many people can relate to it and there are a lot of people facing unemployment issues. There are a lot of people that are unemployed that have families that need to provide but they are not able to because they don’t have a source of income to depend on. There are many people that don’t have jobs and need them in order to be able to survive and help take care of others. 

Reflection

I was at first having difficulties with how I can grab my audience’s attention, so I decided to make a poster that offers unemployed individuals voices to be heard because I visualize it like if the poster was on a wall, someone is going to see it and stop to look at it for a few seconds. I got inspiration from seeing posters on the subway and streets. I also got inspired in seeing posters in protest to inform others and make a change happen. Therefore I choose to create a poster for my visual essay because the majority of my intended audience are going to be adults and teenagers that I have had jobs and are currently unemployed. I wanted to make something that would grab their attention and engage with my visual work. Younger people are usually the type of people that are on social media a lot, there are many older people that don’t have social media. My intended audience also led me to create a poster because I see it like a real-life scenario where people are traveling around outdoors and eventually seeing my poster. If they can relate to it, then they will be very interested and gain their attention even more. The main goal of a poster is to be eye-catching and informative. I was able to incorporate pathos by the images I choose, which shows how a person would look if they lost their job, they are desperate for jobs because they have responsibilities that they need to take care of. This engages the audience because many people are tired of being without a job and stressing for survival. The main reason someone would engage with my poster is that they are unemployed and going through the problems of unemployment. I know that the people seeing the poster are most likely not going to stop for long to see it, so making my poster with not that many words it makes it easier for the viewer to engage with the poster while they continue on with their day. Composing a visual essay is different from writing a traditional essay in the way that visual essays give you many ways to present ideas and information. A visual essay may be even more powerful and effective than a traditional essay because, in my opinion, I think more people enjoy seeing visual things instead of reading a lot of words and paragraphs. You are able to find creative ways to connect and communicate with your audience. A traditional essay is usually very direct and in a visual essay it can mean multiple things, the audience can see it from different perspectives. You are limited in the way of presenting your ideas in a traditional essay. Me creating my poster came with challenges, I had to make it very noticeable so my audience can be able to engage with it. I used bright color texts and images to be able to attract my audience. This assignment gave me the option to create something to help present my argument in a very creative way than a traditional essay would.